One of the mechanics featured in Magic 2014 are Slivers, hive-driven creatures that share abilities with each other. While originally they served in sharing their abilities with all Slivers on the battlefield, the newest limit to sharing their strengths only with other Slivers you control.
And they lost their distinctive "one-clawed snake" look. This created quite the discussion too.
Whether you love or hate the latest in the Sliver family, this altering competition will have something for you.
Alterers must alter a Sliver card, but it may not be a token. Whether you update a new Sliver to "correct the mistake" is entirely up to you, but you must alter a Sliver as you see fit. Submissions will be evaluated in two ways: A panel of judges and voting my the Gathering Magic community.
- Eric Klug – Well known for his work in altering Magic cards.
- Mike Linnemann – A former art director in the gaming industry and Vorthos aficionado.
- Heather Lafferty – Gathering Magic's newest team member, stepping in as our Community Manager and resident Angel.
- Marshall Sutcliffe – You may recognize him from the Limited Resources podcast and his work on DailyMTG, but he's also a skilled alterer in his own right.
Judges will rate each entry on the four axes below:
- Creativity – 10 points – Is the idea unique, clever or engaging?
- Execution – 10 points – Is the alter well done, with skill and attention to detail?
- Complexity – 5 points – How complex is the alter?
- Thematic – 5 points – How well does the alter fit the theme?
There will be a Judges winner and runner-up from the combined scores of all four judges.
Popular Vote – All the entries will be posted, and voting will open up to all Gathering Magic readers. Ther will be a Community winner and runner-up from the combined voting.
Rules for Entry
- You must physically alter a card. You may decide how to do alter it, and in what sort of medium. No digital alterations will be accepted.
- Your entry must be your own. No entering on behalf of others.
- You must send clear photos of your alter. Scanning tends to give best results.
- Your alter must follow the prompt set forth above.
- Each submission must be in our e-mail inbox by the announced deadline to qualify.
- You may only enter one alter.
- Have fun!
The Judges winner will again receive a $30 gift certificate to CoolStuffInc.com. The Judges runner-up will receive a $15 gift certificate. Similarly, the Community winner will receive a $30 gift certificate, with a $15 gift certificate to the runner up.
Yes, the same person can win in both the Judges and Community voting.
Your entry must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ARC #6” with images of your alter attached. It is your responsibility to ensure all attachments are included with the following information in your email:
- Full Name
- E-mail Address
- Twitter Account, Facebook Page, and/or website (if applicable)
- Title of the Alter (if applicable),
- Description, information about the alter, or any other relevant links.
Deadline to Enter: Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:59:59 p.m. EST
Entries Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 (community voting opens)
Community Voting Closes: Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:59:59 p.m. EST
Winners Announced: Wednesday, August 14, 2013