Hello awesome-tastic readers! I hope that you are having an amazing day today, as amazing as you are! Today I want to hit up one of my favorite sub-Top Tens for this series. My Random Top Ten! How does this thing work? Awesome question my good reader, awesome question!
I head over to Wizards of the Coast's webpage to their card database Gatherer and I hit the "random card" button 10 times, and if I hit a basic land or a card I've already done, then I'll do it again. I don't change their order. Then I do a deep dive into each card and where I've played it.
I have a copy of every legal card in my massive Cube I call "AbeDraft" and then I also have played cards in drafts, decks, my 25+ Commander brews, my Type Four stack over 1100 cards, Abe's Deck of Happiness and Joy with thousands of cards, and my Commander Cube over 1200 cards and loads more places as well from Standard to Legacy to Vintage to Arena. I've been playing since I was a senior in High School 28 years ago and I've been playing in every set from Legends to Crimson Vow. I love Limited and have played in tons of environments. I have played with a vast majority of cards, and only two cards have been hit in the previous 170 that I have never played, and one of those was recently printed and the other a vanilla dork from a starter set. Will we hit another card or two today that I haven't played? Let's find out!
Don't forget to check out my first 17 Top Tens in an Appendix below!
Let's see what fun cards from the depths of time we'll unearth today!
10. Deathspore Thallid
This Black Zombie Fungus was printed in Time Spiral which saw a Golgari draft around Saprolings. I have played that archetype in Limited at least twice with this common. This is just like Thallid in Fallen Empires (which was timeshifted in Time Spiral) with it getting a spore counter each upkeep and you can pull three to make a 1/1 Saproling and sacrifice a Saproling to shrink a target by -1/-1 for the round. And that's pretty much it, a nice common Thallid to target in draft to help build your archetype. Enjoy it!
9. Tezzeret's Simulacrum
This lovely 2/3 colorless artifact dork can tap and cut a foe's life total by 1, 3 if you control a Tezzeret planeswalker. It might get some play in Commander if it didn't target a foe as forcing all your foes in a four-way game to lose life each tap would be pretty nifty. I do purchase and play the planeswalker theme decks where this was printed, and I have played it. My favorite was the Chinese-themed one that was Standard-legal that introduced Mu Yanling and Jiang Yanggu. That one felt well balanced where either one could win at any moment. Enjoy the Simulacrum!
8. Throes of Chaos
The first Modern Horizons had a cascade theme that had loads of fun stuff with cascade made. It was made for more casual audiences since it plays well with the Timmy/Tammy player as they get a big dork and the Jenny/Johnny players who like to build their deck around it of the world. This card gives you nothing other than the cascade for four. But you can recast it by retracing it. I wish it had buyback instead, since that wouldn't cost you a land and a card, but it's fine as is. I ran it in Limited builds from the set. It's a useful card for casual fun time considerations.
7. Repentant Blacksmith
Pretty! This is the white-bordered version, but it looks even better in black border. Published in the first expansion set, this fun 2-drop pro red Smith is a nice card to run, and it's legal in my subformat of Commander called Commander '95 that runs cards printed from Alpha ญญto Homlands, Promo. I've run this bad boy in a Limited build at least once. It's fun in Boros Commander decks that want pro-red stuff and then Red damage-based sweepers like Pyrohemia and Earthquake and I've run it in one of those brews as well. Enjoy!
6. Blightsteel Colossus
Whoa! If I reorganized my Top Ten after hitting the random button, I'd move this to my top spot! This is probably going to be the most played card in my list for Commander where its infect and 11 power mean it can kill in one hit. It's in 16,622 of decks over at EDHREC.com. It's too powerful in Type Four where it kills in one hit just like banned cards like the Firebreathing Shivan Dragons of the world. Great card elsewhere. Enjoy it a lot!
Top Five Time!
5. Spirit Mantle
I really like the card that inspired Spirit Mantle and played it in Abe's Deck of Happiness and Joy (Unquestioned Authority). This gives +1/+1 and the best protection in a Voltron and/or aura deck, pro dorks! With this you can swing through any creature-based defense and it's good on blockers like the flying Commander Eesha since it can prevent damage from any size attacker! It's a great combo of size pumping and ability giving, plus it makes your key card invulnerable to creature-based removal like Flametongue Kavu, Duplicant and Shriekmaw. It's very powerful with vigilance since you can swing unblockably and block untouched by damage and abilities like deathtouch that need it. This aura has been played in a ton of Voltron decks and is clocked in right now at 10,761 at EDHREC.com as it gets plenty of play in Commander. I've used it myself in that sort of build as well as in Limited in AbeDraft.
One mana. Destroy around 40% of creatures. Pretty fair trade, right? I ran this in the sideboard of a Standard brew at the time. It was a pretty strong hoser and a cheap answer to a lot of commonly played threats. I've also sideboarded it in in Limited as well. Coldsnap x3 Limited isn't something I'd recommend if you haven't already played it, nor is Ice Age, Alliances, Coldsnap either, for that matter. I hope that you enjoy this fun sideboard card!
Three cards left!
3. Wall of Water
Our oldest card today's countdown is this Water-fueled Wall. Did you know that Blue used to get firebreathing as well? If it pumped defenses to compare to Red's Wall of Fire, it would have made sense. But this does the same thing, pump on the front end. Blue also has multiple sources of direct damage to a player or dork in this set - three. Pirate Ship, Prodigal Sorcerer and Psionic Blast and Red just has four - Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Disintegrate and Orcish Artillery. That's pretty interesting, no? I thought so as well! Meanwhile this card is pretty solid and worth the random looksee as it's been forgotten to time as well as space. Enjoy this flashback! We have a card from the first set and the first expansion set, how cool is that?
2. Dreamborn Muse
The Muse cycle is one of the coolest creature cycles to my mind, and one of the best examples of "Restrictions Breed Creativity". Wizards of the Coast was making a creature-only set called Legions. That was a pretty different thing to do! Now...how do you add in cards that are creatures but count as enchantments? Enter the rare Muse cycle of enchantments on legs. The best known is Seedborn Muse, which is a Commander classic with 56,017 over at EDHREC.com. My favorite is Windborn Muse, a creature version of the classic Propaganda and Ghostly Prison with a play number of 14,010 decks. Don't sleep on the super charged Phyrexian Arena on a stick called Graveborn Muse in 4,964 decks. The other two are this one that mills everyone and the Red The Rack on legs for your foes called Lavaborn Muse. It's a nice cycle of fun times, right? Right!
One card left!
1. Goblin Grenade
Getting printed way back in Fallen Empires, this classic 1-drop burn spell was heavily played in Goblin decks. It still is today with 2,125 in Commander getting run even though it's much worse in a 40-life format than a 20 life one like most other kitchen table formats. I've used it myself in many decks! Ah yes, the burn classic!
And there we are! I have played them all! Thanks for reading, anything in here spark any deck-building ideas? Just let me know in the comments below! Have an amazing day!
Did you like those random 1-set cards of craziness? Excellent! Here are the first eleven iterations of random fun for you to unpack!
- Random Top Ten #1. My first top randomly features both hits (such as Grim Lavamancer) and 'what the?' moments, such as Narwhal. Enjoy!
- Random Top Ten #2. If you like high profile spells like Gush and Fire // Ice, then you came to the right place! If you like old and obscure stuff like Silver Seraph and Infernal Darkness, then you also came to the right place.
- Random Top Ten #3. Sometimes in these random builds you have a lack of any sort of theme. But we did finish with a rare that I used to win my first ever Sealed tournament, so there you are!
- Random Top Ten #4. This was about when I realized this series had legs, so I began to codify the various articles. This Top Ten's random feature is high profile cards and a full three are commonly seen in multiplayer or kitchen table gaming.
- Random Top Ten #5. Including cards like the dreaded and the game-winning Door to Nothingness, this is a fun random blast!
- Random Top Ten #6. This Random Gatherer-Inspired slate of ten includes cards such as Thallid, Forbidden Orchard, and everybody's favorite infect creature. And cards you likely forgot about (or never knew about) with Savage Firecat and Wall of Light in there as well! Check out the randomness!
- Random Top Ten #7. In this Random Gatherer article, we see cards like Blessing, Coercion, the Zombie Dinosaur beasts of Putrid Raptor, and Dingus Egg. Check it out!!!!
- Random Top Ten #8. From Bad Moon to Ball Lightning, and from Armory Automaton to Power of Fire, we have a ten-set of randomly chosen cards for your enjoyment. This Random List is the list that keeps giving, as I decide to pause and create a Top Ten Ways to Abuse Power of Fire in the middle of my top ten list so you get TWO TOP TEN LISTS for the price of reading a single article. What's not to love?
- Random Top Ten #9. Who wants Black Sun's Zenith or Muldrotha, the Gravetide? Who wants Kjeldoran Knight or Staggershock that you may not have known about? My #1 card was a Commander legal leader and I turned and was inspired enough to create a budget Commander around him the next week!
- Random Top Ten #10. Top Ten Ten Time! and you can see cycling lands, Eldrazi, Defenders, and Beetles. And not necessarily in that order! Enjoy!
- Random Top Ten #11. Lets break out of the ten-set! You can see cards in here like Sorin, Solemn Visitor, Claws of Gix and a powerful #4. We even get my favorite card name of all time. What'll be? Check it out!
- Random Top Ten #12. For this fun article I get forgotten cards like Samite Alchemist and fun cards like Hot Soup. I know you wanna check it out, right? Right!!!!!
- Random Top Ten #13. It's awesome. Sauce. Sau-some. It has cards in it like Call the Skybreaker and Kor Hookmaster. I know that you want to click that link for the Sau-some!
- Random Top Ten #14. Hither thou goest! It includes cards like Cloudshift and Blighted Fen. For the first time in the series the top card by power and quality in the list actually hit my #1 spot randomly.
- Random Top Ten #15. This is the second time I've had a card that I haven't played somewhere. That took a while! For this random pile of awesomeness we got cards like Novablast Wurm and Goldspan Dragon.
- Random Top Ten #16 - This one includes flavorful cards like Qarsi Deceiver and two 1-drop commons from the first set ever printed bookend it. It's pretty cool!
- Random Top Ten #17 - This fun decade of delusion has cards in it like powerful Commander card Silent Arbiter and a still Standard legal planeswalker.